Want to try making a "Sweet Potato Flour" Chocolate Cake!
March 21, 2021 Report
I love trying new products in my kitchen, especially when it comes to baking. I love to bake healthy and with so many new products on the market today it's hard to keep up. I was lucky enough to find out that Ecoideas has a Sweet Potato Flour. I've never tried it before so I thought this was a perfect opportunity.
I love that this Sweet Potato Flour is Organic, vegan, and can replace wheat flour 1:1. I've never baked with it before so this has been a bit of a learning curve for me. One thing I found out is that I definitely had to add more water to my cake batter as I was having a bit of trouble having it stick together nicely. My batter originally looked more like a cookie dough rather than a cake batter. This does make sense now though considering the sweet potato flour has no moisture in it. But it is very rich in Vitamin A and Vitamin C. Sweet potato flour is naturally gluten free and vegan as well.
It also is very low on the glycemic index and is a complex carb that is rich in fibre. What this means is that it is good for weight loss as the dietary fibre forms a bit of a gel like mesh in the stomach making you feel full longer.....and you don't end up overeating. Sweet potato flour also supports your bowels and it supports the good bacteria in your gut. Win! Win!
Here is my recipe:
Sweet Potato Flour Chocolate Cake (Gluten Free)
3/4 c melted Organic Ecoideas Coconut Oil
2 freerun eggs
2 tsp agave nectar (optional)
3/4 c eryithitol
2 tsp baking powder (aluminum free)
1 tsp pink himalayan salt
1/3 c organic coconut flour
1/2 c organic almond flour
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 c organic cacao
1 1/2 c Ecoideas Sweet Potato Flour
1 1/2 c water
1. In a large mixing bowl, place coconut oil, eggs, agave nectar, eryithitol, baking powder and salt and mix together.
2. Add water, coconut flour, and xanthan gum and cacacao and then the sweet potato flour until well mixed.
3. Pour into a greased baking pan. (8" square or 6" x13" pan) or your preferred baking dish. (I greased my baking dish with additional coconut oil).
4. Bake at 350degrees F. for approximately 30 minutes. Check with a toothpick that when poked in the center, comes out clean.
5. Flip out of pan onto a cooling rack. Let cool. Then ice with your favorite icing.
Sweet Potato Flour Chocolate Icing
2 c organic icing sugar
1/2 c grass fed butter
1 tsp vanilla
2 Tblsp organic cacao
2 Tblsp Ecoideas Sweet Potato Flour
2-4 Tblsp of oat mylk or your milk of choice
1. Place butter in mixing bowl. Beat till smooth for about 2 minutes. Add vanilla and icing sugar, cacao and enough milk to make a fluffy icing.
2. Ice your cake. Enjoy!