Using Lee's Ghee in Baking and Sweet Treats
March 10, 2020 Report
Ghee is butter with all the milk solids removed a.k.a clarified butter. This is done by slowly heating butter and allowing it to simmer. The milk solids naturally separate and are removed leaving "liquid gold". Ghee is a staple in Ayurvedic medicine.
It has high smoke point so you can use it for high temp cooking and it won't burn. It has a very savoury flavour so I wanted to see what it would be like in a sweeter dish so I made these oat-peanut-butter-balls with Lee's Ghee and Ecoideas Tigernut Flour. Keep in mind although the milk solids have been removed, ghee is still techinically a dairy product. The lactose is gone but if you are vegan, you won't be consuming ghee.
- 2 cups Ecoideas tigernut flour
- 1/3 cup Splendor Garden oats
- 2/3 cup Organic Traditions shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup melted ghee (Lee's Ghee)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp Simply Organic cinnamon
- 1 tsp Simply Organic vanilla
- 1/2 tsp Ecoideas pink salt
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp Nuts for You peanut butter
- The mixture will look a little dry but it will come together when you scoop it
- Use 1/2 tbsp to roll into balls.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet to firm up in the fridge.
They have a yummy peanut butter taste with a slight savoury buttery flavour from the use of ghee.