Meet Your Matcha: Everything You Need
July 19, 2019
Mmmm. Matcha tea. One of my favourites! I honestly have no idea when or where I was introduced to it, but it has been a staple in my home for many years. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea (pun intended), but it is one that I encourage people to try as the health benefits are plentiful and science-backed.
Did you know matcha has both an awakening and a calming effect? (Awake AND calm?! Can I get a high five here?) And there are so many other benefits:
· Fights back against heart disease, reducing the risk by ~31%
· Increases metabolism and fat burning rates
· Generates calm while also boosting alertness
· Decelerates aging and helps skin resist UV rays
· Prevents tooth decay by making saliva less acidic
· Reduces risk of cancer and Type 2 diabetes
· Protects the liver
· Improves memory
· Keeps bowels moving
· Reduces susceptibility to certain allergens
· Gives a boost to eyesight and bone structure
· Contains anti-inflammatory properties and has 137 times more antioxidants than regular green tea.
The trick is to make a good cup of it. Matcha is made with a ratio of 1 tsp powder to 2 oz hot water (‘thick tea’) or a ratio of ½ tsp power to 3-4 oz water (‘thin tea’). Green tea can become bitter if steeped in water that has come to a full boil, so aim for water no hotter than 80 °C.
I love tradition and Matcha is no exception. Use a drinking bowl to make your tea and whisk it with a bamboo whisk. This makes it nice and frothy, and is a nod to the traditional Japanese tea ceremony.
All the products listed are ones I have and use. I always prefer organic though you can find other brands but I can attest to the quality of the one posted. Do price compare. Often organic is little to no price difference. Remember, you get what you pay for in terms of the cleanliness and quality of the product.
Cheers to a ‘cuppa' health!