The Power Of Ginseng
November 29, 2020 Report
Did you know there are a total of 13 species of ginseng?
American White Ginseng (Panax quinquefolius) has long been utilized as a multi-faceted herb with all its beneficial properties. It’s an adaptogen to help relieve stressors of our everyday while improving memory, focus, performance, and overall brain health.
In Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), white ginseng is “cooling” in nature which nourish Yin energy. To help clear heat and promote fluid production in our bodies. Characteristic flavor is slightly bitter and earthy compared to other types of ginseng.
In my household of Chinese/Vietnamese decent, I was exposed to the powers of ginseng early on. Recently I got to try Farmaroot’s high-quality dried White Ginseng grown right in our backyard in Ontario, Canada!
Here’s a family recipe circulating between my aunts which I’d love for you to try!
It supports TCM principles of never self-prescribing TCM ingredients, but as a formula. This principle applies to the Chinese red dates (jujube) in the recipe. They are “warming” in nature which nourish Yang energy — balancing the body’s overall energy systems.
- 2 mini whole chickens
- 4 whole garlic cloves, smashed
- 6 Chinese red dates
- 4 dried white ginseng pieces (Farmaroot)
- 1/4 cup of barley
- 1/4 cup of sushi rice
- 5 cups of filtered water
1. Day of preparation — soak barley and sushi rice in filtered water. Soak 4 pieces of dried white ginseng with filtered water for 2-4 hours, depending on the size of the root. Keep soaked water.
2. Get a medium-sized pot. Boil about 5 cups of filtered water.
3. Clean outside and inside of chicken with salt. Remove cartilage and neck, add parts to boiling pot of water to sweeten flavour of soup.
4. Once the pot of water is boiled, add soaked dried white ginseng and water. Simmer for about 30 mins to extract more flavour from the ginseng into the soup base.
5. Stuff each chicken with 2 garlic cloves, 3 red dates, sushi rice and barley mix, 2 boiled ginseng roots. Place stuffed chicken with legs facing up, with liquid covering more than 3/4 of chicken and boil for 30-45 mins. Cooking time depends on size of chicken.
6. During cooking, reduce residue and oil from broth. Pour broth on top of the stuffed chicken occasionally.
7. Garnished with green onions with broth. Serve with sweet & sour sauce and or dipping salt.
@farmaroot #farmaroot #ginseng #rootedingood #peopletail @peopletail